Sunday, January 6, 2013

Filing your 2012 - 2013 Texas Homestead Exemption

If you purchased a home in Texas in 2012 and you were living in the house on January 1, 2013 as your primary residence, you should be eligible to apply for your Texas Homestead Exemption. As a Texas homestead owner, you have certain rights and privileges associated with your primary residence.
There are a few things you should know about the new Texas Homestead law. The latest Texas state laws require that applicants provide the following proof of ownership:
  • Application for residential homestead exemption
  • Proof of Texas Driver’s License or Texas Identification Card with matching property address to the homestead you are claiming (Side note: if you live anywhere near Pflugerville, go check out the new Super DPS office there. It is HUGE and they have tons of nice people working there. It is not so close to my home, but I drove out there while I was on I-35 in north Austin and I was in and out with my new license in less than 15 minutes!
  • Proof of Vehicle Registration Receipt. The address on your vehicle registration must match the property address for your new Texas homestead also, so make sure you update your vehicle registration with your new home address.
A few other things to remember about Homestead Exemptions: 
  • You must be living in the home on January 1st to qualify for the coming year.
  • Do not send in your Homestead application early. You can not file until after Jan. 1st.
  • Application for Homestead in Texas is free. You do not have to pay someone to file your homestead exemption. It is free to apply and should only take you a few minutes.
  • Only your principal Texas residence qualifies.
For a complete list of qualifications, rules and exceptions--see your County Tax Assessor's office. Find your forms here:


Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on Austin Real Estate Secrets!

These Posts Continue to get Daily Readership