"I have been in this business for 25 years..."

I wonder how many times a week or how many times a year I hear a Realtor in Austin use this exact phrase. I heard it again today. It's never 15 year. Never 10 years. 12 years. Always seem to be 25 years. It's like this is the magic number in Real Estate where you are to be forgiven for anything that you don't know how to do or you are too lazy to figure out. This phrase really should be followed with the words "I have been in this business for 25 years and I have just given up on trying to do a good job or learn things that I did not know from when I started in this business--whenever that was." I say this because this phrase is always the excuse for not being able to do some very fundamental aspect of the job as a Realtor and the "25 year clause" seems to be some unwritten get-out-of-jail-free card for Realtors who have been in the business longer than they should have stayed in Real Estate.

My advise to you, Mr and Mrs Realtor--if you are one of the people who like to use this phrase and this is your excuse for not wanting to do your job, maybe it is time to retire or find another profession. I am sure your clients get tired of hearing you tell them how long you have been in the business when they have a question for you. Maybe it's time to roll over and learn some new tricks.

WARNING: If you have been in this business for a very long time or you feel like you have been in this business for a very long time, maybe you should not read this blog. This may be hazardous to your health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hardwood Flooring vs. Engineered Hardwood vs. Laminate Flooring--How to Tell the Difference

It May Be Time to Fire Your HOA Management Company